This week I’m talking with Susan Shenk, an occupational therapist, the founder of Shift Your Thinking LD, the CEO of Technology & Tools for Kids, and the author of Beyond OK: From Invisible to Invincible.
Susan has worked as an Occupational Therapist in the school setting for twenty years, where she watched and looked at how learning was viewed and what was missing when it came to supporting kids who were learning differently. One of Susan’s passion is helping parents, educators, and other occupational therapists understand how to tap into the power of technology in order to help kids develop their fledgling skills. In our conversation, we’ll hear how Susan’s own journey of growing up with an undiagnosed learning difference influences her work today, and get her insights on how technology can be best used to support kids who are different learners.
About Susan: Susan Schenk is a mom of three kids, a wife, and an occupational therapist. In her book, Beyond Ok: From Invisible to Invincible, she offers an insider’s look at learning differences as a child, a parent, and a professional in the school system. Her OT business Technology & Tools For Kids offers consultation to help parents support their child that learns differently. She is the co-founder of Shift Your Thinking LD (Toronto, Ontario) which is a nonprofit organization that offers parents and professionals insight into the world of learning differently and strategies that support all areas of their life (learning, physical, and emotional).
THINGS YOU’LL LEARN FROM THIS EPISODE:
- How Susan took her personal experience growing up with an unsupported learning difference and decided to pay it forward
- How occupational therapy can support kids with learning differences
- Why technology can be such a powerful tool for kids with learning differences
- What multi-sensory technology looks like and why this is what we want to gravitate toward
- How to tap into the most effective technology depending on a child’s age
- Susan’s thoughts on how to work with a school to get appropriate technology approved for the classroom
- How to vet potential technology and determine which tech will be most effectual for your kids
- Susan’s website Technology and Tools for Kids
- Beyond OK: From Invisible to Invincible by Susan Shenk
- SYT Parent Community (launching January 2019)
THANKS SO MUCH FOR LISTENING!
Do you have an idea for an upcoming episode? We’d LOVE to hear from you. Please share your thoughts in our Suggestion Box!
And if you have any other feedback or thoughts you’d like to share, feel free to leave a comment below or send us a note directly through our Connect form.
If you liked this episode and know of others who would find value in the information, please use the social media share buttons below to help spread the word.
Lastly, if you are so willing, I encourage you to leave an honest review for the TiLT Parenting Podcast over on iTunes. Reviews are very important for helping podcasts find their audiences, and we would love your support in helping us find ours!