What attracted me to Karen’s website is that it frequently features fascinating, comprehensive, and easy-to-digest articles on issues surrounding kids’ emotional and mental well-being, with a special focus on anxiety in kids. And that’s what we’re talking about in-depth today—anxiety in children. Karen will tell us exactly what it looks like, how we can recognize it in our kids, what to do about it, and how to talk with our kids about it. Karen also tells us about her new book which she wrote specifically for children with anxiety, called Hey Warrior.
About Karen: Karen Young has worked as a psychologist in private practice, in organizational settings, lectured and has extensive experience in the facilitation of personal growth groups. Her honors degree in psychology and masters in Gestalt Therapy have come in handy at times. She founded Hey Sigmund after realizing the power of solid information. Her articles have been translated into a number of languages and her work has been published on various international sites including The Good Men Project, The Huffington Post, The Mighty, and Yahoo Health. She is also a regular contributor to Parenting Magazine in New Zealand. She can often be heard on Australian radio, and is and a sought-after speaker. Recently, she published Hey Warrior, a book for kids to help them understand anxiety and find their ‘brave’.
THINGS YOU’LL LEARN FROM THIS EPISODE:
- The impetus for Karen’s popular website Hey Sigmund
- What Karen hopes Hey Sigmund does in the world
- Why Karen says: “Because sometimes the only diagnosis is human”
- What’s happening in our kids’ bodies and minds when they’re experiencing anxiety
- Useful strategies kids can use to cope with their anxious feelings
- What parents can look out for if they suspect their child might be struggling with anxiety
- How parents can support their children with anxiety, as well as explain to their children what’s going on
- The importance of mindfulness as a way to manage anxiety
- Hey Sigmund (Karen’s website)
- Hey Warrior, a book for kids with anxiety to find their “brave” by Karen Young
- Anxiety in Kids: How to Turn it Around and Protect Them for Life (original viral article on Hey Sigmund)
THANKS SO MUCH FOR LISTENING!
Do you have an idea for an upcoming episode? We’d LOVE to hear from you. Please share your thoughts in our Suggestion Box!
And if you have any other feedback or thoughts you’d like to share, feel free to leave a comment below or send us a note directly through our Connect form.
If you liked this episode and know of others who would find value in the information, please use the social media share buttons below to help spread the word.
Lastly, if you are so willing, I encourage you to leave an honest review for the TiLT Parenting Podcast over on iTunes. Reviews are very important for helping podcasts find their audiences, and we would love your support in helping us find ours!