This episode of the TiLT Parenting Podcast features a conversation with a dear friend of mine and fellow mom-in-the-trenches, Andrea Owen. Andrea and I met many years ago through our advocacy work on behalf of teens and young women, and since then, Andrea’s gone on to become a high-profile life coach and the founder of her business, Your Kick-Ass Life. She also hosts the Your Kick-Ass Life podcast, which has over 170 episodes out now, and is the author of 52 Ways To Live a Kick-Ass Life, and her forthcoming book, How to Stop Feeling Like Sh*t. As a coach, Andrea is focused on helping high-achieving women let go of perfectionism, control, and isolation, and choosing courage and confidence instead.
And as a mother, Andrea is raising her own differently-wired son, and in this episode she takes us inside her parenting journey and shares how she’s navigated her own baggage and sticky spots in coming to terms with who her son is. As someone who helps women lead their most fulfilled lives, Andrea has had to walk the walk, and today she opens up about what the process has looked like for her, and shares her wisdom for how the rest of us can do it, too.
About Andrea: Life coach. Author. Hellraiser. Andrea Owen is passionate about empowering women to value themselves and fiercely love who they are. She helps high-achieving women let go of perfectionism, control, and isolation and choosing courage and confidence instead. You can learn more at www.yourkickasslife.com.
THINGS YOU’LL LEARN FROM THIS EPISODE:
- How Andrea knew her son was differently wired and how she came to terms with who he is
- How Andrea dealt with people who didn’t really “get it”
- The ways that compromise, surrendering, and marriage counseling helped Andrea and her husband learn how to be in alignment in the way they parent
- How our “inner critic” can feed into our shame and guilt in parenting, and Andrea’s advice for how to tame it
- Inner Critic 101: It’s all about noticing + acknowledging how we’re talking to (and treating) ourself
- What Andrea has found most helpful in navigating the public school system
- How Andrea practices self-care
- Andrea Owen’s Your Kick-Ass Life Podcast
- 52 Ways to Live a Kickass Life: BS-Free Wisdom to Ignite Your Inner Badass and Live the Life You Deserve by Andrea Owen
- Debbie and Her Husband Talk Openly About Their Journey of Parenting a Differently-Wired Son (podcast)
THANKS SO MUCH FOR LISTENING!
Do you have an idea for an upcoming episode? We’d LOVE to hear from you. Please share your thoughts in our Suggestion Box!
And if you have any other feedback or thoughts you’d like to share, feel free to leave a comment below or send us a note directly through our Connect form.
If you liked this episode and know of others who would find value in the information, please use the social media share buttons below to help spread the word.
Lastly, if you are so willing, I encourage you to leave an honest review for the TiLT Parenting Podcast over on iTunes. Reviews are very important for helping podcasts find their audiences, and we would love your support in helping us find ours!