In this special kid’s POV edition, my 12-year-old son Asher and I have a frank and honest conversation about the topic of diagnoses, labels, and the stigmas associated with diagnoses.
I know that Asher has strong feelings about all of these topics and I thought it was important to bring his perspective to the podcast because many parents struggle with the question of what to disclosed, when to disclose, and how to disclose to their kids about their neurological differences. In our conversation, we talk about how Asher feels about his diagnoses, why he believes parents should tell their kids exactly what’s going on with them, and why he’s totally find for others to know about the ways in which he’s differently wired.
About Debbie and Asher: Debbie Reber is the founder of TiLT and the host of the TiLT Parenting Podcast. 12-year-old Asher is Debbie’s son and is regularly featured on the podcast. Find out more about Debbie and Asher by visiting the About Page.
THINGS YOU’LL LEARN FROM THIS EPISODE:
- How to recognize and understand generational differences between our parents parenting style and our own
- Strategies for handling difficult conversations with our parents
- How to handle it when we feel judged by our parents or in-laws
- How to take care of our needs and our kids needs during difficult moments
- How to ask for what you need from your parents and in-laws in a respectful way
- The Asperkid’s (Secret) Book of Social Rules: The Handbook of Not-So-Obvious Social Guidelines for Tweens and Teens with Asperger Syndrome by Jennifer Cook O’Toole
- The Survival Guide for Kids with ADHD by John F. Taylor Ph.D.
We’re happy to be highlighting the work of the Gifted Homeschooler’s Forum this week, a nonprofit that supports, educates and advocates for gifted and twice exceptional children, their families, and the professionals who serve them, as they pursue alternative, lifelong educational paths. Click on the image the left to learn more!
THANKS SO MUCH FOR LISTENING!
Do you have an idea for an upcoming episode? We’d LOVE to hear from you. Please share your thoughts in our Suggestion Box!
And if you have any other feedback or thoughts you’d like to share, feel free to leave a comment below or send us a note directly through our Connect form.
If you liked this episode and know of others who would find value in the information, please use the social media share buttons below to help spread the word.
Lastly, if you are so willing, I encourage you to leave an honest review for the TiLT Parenting Podcast over on iTunes. Reviews are very important for helping podcasts find their audiences, and we would love your support in helping us find ours!