In this episode of the TiLT Parenting Podcast, I talk with Casey O’Roarty of Joyful Courage. Casey is a Positive Discipline trainer and parent coach who is not only passionate about the power of positive discipline, but is a fierce believer in supporting parents in becoming courageous and joyful as they navigate the ups and downs of raising kids.
Because I’ve personally experienced the profound impact of positive discipline in my relationship with Asher, I was excited to sit down with Casey for a deep dive into the heart and soul of the positive discipline parenting philosophy—respectful communication, fostering connection, and supporting a child in growth and learning through a marriage of kindness and firmness. I believe wholeheartedly that positive discipline is an incredibly effective approach for all parents, but especially for parents raising differently-wired kids. I have a hunch that after listening to this episode, you’ll feel the same way.
About Casey: Casey O’Roarty is a Positive Discipline trainer and parent coach in the Pacific Northwest who teaches parent classes and leads teacher trainings. She is the founder of Joyful Courage, an online business featuring a blog, videos, and e-courses, as well as the host of the Joyful Courage Podcast.
THINGS YOU’LL LEARN FROM THIS EPISODE:
- What Positive Discipline is as a parenting and teaching philosophy
- Why it’s critical that our kids feel connected
- Why a parent’s emotions are their biggest clues as to what’s going on with their “misbehaving” children
- How the balance of kindness and firmness works so well for children
- Why positive discipline isn’t a “permissive” parenting style
- Why “punishments” and time outs don’t help our children develop skills
- Casey O’Roarty’s website, Joyful Courage
- Positive Discipline by Jane Nelson
- Positive Discipline for Children with Special Needs: Raising and Teaching All Children to Become Resilient, Responsible, and Respectful by Jane Nelson
- The Mistaken Goals Chart – Downloadable PDF from PositiveDiscipline.com
- The Whole Brain Child: 12 Revolutionary Strategies to Nurture Your Child’s Developing Mind by Dan Siegel
- No Drama Discipline: The Whole Brain Way to Calm the Chaos and Nurture Your Child’s Developing Mind by Dan Siegel
- Brainstorm: The Power and Purpose of the Teenage Brain by Dan Siegel
- The Conscious Parent by Dr. Shefali Tsabary
- The Gift of Failure by Jessica Lahey
- Positive Parenting: An Essential Guide by Rebecca Eanes
- Hands Free Mama: A Guide to Putting Down the Phone, Burning the To-Do List, and Letting Go of Perfection to Grasp What Really Matters! by Rachel Macy Stafford
THANKS SO MUCH FOR LISTENING!
Do you have an idea for an upcoming episode? We’d LOVE to hear from you. Please share your thoughts in our Suggestion Box!
And if you have any other feedback or thoughts you’d like to share, feel free to leave a comment below or send us a note directly through our Connect form.
If you liked this episode and know of others who would find value in the information, please use the social media share buttons below to help spread the word.
Lastly, if you are so willing, I encourage you to leave an honest review for the TiLT Parenting Podcast over on iTunes. Reviews are very important for helping podcasts find their audiences, and we would love your support in helping us find ours!